Sunday, October 23, 2016

Zac's 14" F4.6 -- Assembled Kit . . .

Zac, in Georgetown, Kentucky, assembled one of our kits for his 14" Hubble Optics mirror. Here's his telescope and some comments:

Dennis,

Got the scope out to a great dark sky event our club held at the Shaker Village near lexington, Ky.

First off the scope assembly and take down are very easy, It can be set up and cooling in less than 8min with some practice.

I also opted for a single speed focuser from moonlight and this was proven to be very reliable and smooth. 

The lens I used were an Orion q70 26mm, Televue panoptic 19mm and Type 6 televue 9mm nagler. 

The F4.6 of my hubble mirror produces way to much coma to work well with my Baader zoom, but the other lens were amazing in this scope! With the 9mm we were able to resolve the double double stars and views of M11, and M13 were breathtaking.  
The ring nebula and little and big dumbbell looked fantastic! My friends in the club were amazed at the views and build of the scope, it's so much more compact and lighter than some of the other classic dobs our members have. 

The DCS performed very well, I only noticed a slight error in locating objects due to the deep grass the scope was set up on. I need to install slightly longer feet on the ground board to fix the this issue.

Contrast was good as long as ambient light was low, I will make a shroud for it before the next meeting. 

As you can see from the pictures I installed a battery and custom switch box in the base so everything is contained and neat, it has a switch for the fan, DCS, and secondary heaters. Every thing is held down with velcro. and all wires and encoders store in the base. 
That's why I wanted solid sides on mine.

With the scrap of wood you sent with i made a lens rack and it performed well.

All and all I am very pleased with the scope, it holds it's alignment well and performed very well. It takes less time to setup than my LX90, the DCS works better and aligns easier than the LX and even though it takes up more space the views are so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment