|A 16" Lightbridge rocker kit for Randy in Hazlet, New Jersey.|
|The kit is completed and ready for packaging and shipping.|
|Bob's telescope was built from one|
of our kits. Nice job Bob.
I reported, earlier, that I found this Celestron 6se at one of our local thrift stores. It turns out to be fully functional with beautiful optics and works just as it should. After looking around the Internet I found that someone had made an equatorial wedge for their scope -- I thought I'd do the same.
Later I found an entry about using an older wedge for this newer telescope. It works just right. All the holes lined up perfectly -- and with a bit of foolin' around -- I've gotten the Celestron 6se equatorially mounted.
I used it last night for a bit, mainly to check the collimation. It was "right on". The telescope is as close to "like-new" as one could hope for!!
(Note the yardstick at the bottom for a size comparison).
|The equatorial mount for my 6" Edmund Scientific telescope|
including a hard-to-find clockdrive.
|After a good number of years in storage, the|
telescope is in excellent condition.
|The equatorial mount for a 4" Edmund Scientific|
telescope. I have the complete telescope for sale.
|Dave's 10" F6 with Swayze Optics premium mirror.|
Note the strings, full UTA, Easy Transport with intermediate
ring and dew shield. A full Sky Commander is included.
|The focuser is an Antares "Heavy-Lift" 2-speed while|
the spider is a Destiny 3-vane curved-vane.
UPGRADES! I’d been wanting to make some upgrades to the rocker box after seeing all the nice custom dobs at my local society’s star party and when I heard about Dobstuff, I made the jump. I should say- a well placed step on my existing rocker boxes eyepiece holder by a rambunctious little 8 year old might have rushed me along. Here’s a photo of the pieces I ordered. I went with a minwax Sedona Red stain and finished it off with four coats of clear satin polyurethane.
The finished product resembles an old Chris Craft boat and I love it! I’m sure everyone has a preference to wood tone, but this was mine. I sanded between coats with 600 grit paper and gave it ample time to dry. One nice thing is that Dennis provides all new hardware. I did however opt to use my existing plastic feet and the lazy susan bearing from my old dob as they worked perfectly well.
|Dave's rocker box is in its early stages of|
construction. The fit is "just right" <5/29/21>
|5/31/21 Getting close to completion.|
|Near complete is Daves' 10" F6|
OTA. I notice it's a bit "front heavy"
so I'll need to add some weight to
the rear of the telescope -- counter
to the "ultra-lite" philosophy. but
it's gotta balance!!!!
|The color is "Cognac"|
After many days of cool, wet weather, we finally had some drier days. I finally managed to get all of the parts stained. One thing that I discovered is that the stain somewhat obliterates the pencil marks that tell me right from left pieces and other defining orientations. I ended up using a set of numbered punches that I had to mark the wood in non visible places in order to maintain the correct orientation of the parts. I did manage to get the ground board stained and sealed. You can see the Teflon in one corner.
We’re going into another wet spell, so I’ll be waiting a bit to polyurethane the parts. Just need some more good days to get this all finished up.
Hi Dennis: Finally some warmer (non-snow, rain, wind) weather. After hand sanding quite a bit, my son told me he had a sander. Larry
|A full Sky Commander system is installed, configured|
|All of my telescopes include a custom-fitted|
mirror cover to keep the optics clean and safe.
|The heaviest components of this beauty is|
the primary mirror itself. Features include
an Observatory Grade Destiny spider, 9-point
flotation mirror cell, Sky commander and
Moonlite 2-speed focuser.