Sunday, May 7, 2023

From Ron and his 16" Dobstuff -- "GOTO"

A nice note and photos from Ron and his 16" dobstuff telescope. This one is "driven":

Hi Dennis

I hope you are well. 

I am still having a lot of fun and use out of my DobStuff scope. Recently I added goto and tracking and I thought I would show you. The telescope can now go to and track using planetarium software either on computer or smart phone.  I attach some pictures of the azimuth and altitude motors. Its a simple gear and rack system with two servomotors controlled by a SiTech controller. The SiTech system works by simply pointing the scope to the celestial pole and turning on the controller - tracking then starts automatically. I have ordered a Bluetooth adapter with the aim to use my phone to control the telescope. The SkySafari app for example will even given you a verbal account of what you are looking at while you observe. Pretty neat :)

All the best


Ron. 

No comments:

Post a Comment